Upon completion of this seminar, participants will know:
- The importance of planning in successful negotiations
- Approaches in negotiations
- 4 techniques to assist in single and sole source negotiations
- The importance of determining, rating, and valuing the issues in a negotiation
- 6 areas in evaluating strengths and weaknesses
- 18 Important points to remember in the negotiation
- Essential elements of the final preparation
Participants will gain from a combination of instructional methods, including lectures by an experienced practitioner and consultant, exercises, group discussions covering current practices and their relationship to the implementation of concepts and techniques discussed.
The organization will benefit by:
- Reduced total cost of purchased material, equipment, and services
- Better outcomes in disputes and claims with suppliers and contractors
- Improved supplier performance
- Having the advantage in negotiations as a result of their employees being better prepared and trained than the other side's employees.
- Greater likelihood that the organization's objectives in dealing with outside firms will be met.
Attendees will gain by participation in this program as a result of:
- Increased skill sets in negotiations
- A greater sense of confidence and professionalism
- Applying increased negotiation skills to personnel situations
- Greater ability to obtain desired outcomes in negotiations
- Increased recognition by the organization due to improved performance
- Negotiation planning
- Negotiation styles & techniques
- Dealing with tactics
- Understanding the other side
- Buyer/seller positioning on key contract issues
- Developing negotiating skill sets
Who Should Attend:
Managers and professionals involved in:
- projects, contracts, purchasing, contract administration operations, maintenance, engineering, quality,
- and other company activities that expose them or their staff to negotiations with contractors - and suppliers and who want to improve their competency in this critical area of performance.
Session 1: The Criticality of Successful Negotiations
- Why are we here?
- Negotiation skill sets
- Who wins negotiations
- Small-Group Exercise-Discuss the necessary skill sets of a good negotiator.
- Session 1 discusses how businesspeople understand that among the many hats they wear, the ability to be successful in negotiations is essential to their organization's growth and future.
Session 2: Steps In Negotiation Preparation
- When does the negotiation start
- The most important thing to remember in negotiations
- Comparing approaches in negotiations
- Reducing the impact of back door selling
- Group Discussion-What type of negotiation philosophy has been the norm for attendees.
- Session 2 brings home the concept that no amount of negotiator experience, skill, or persuasive ability can make up for the lack of thorough preparation.
Session 3: What Gets Negotiated?
- Defining the issues
- Timing as an issue
- Valuing the issues
- Rating & issue types
- Total cost of ownership considerations
- Small-Group Exercise-Define the issues that could be negotiated in some common contract clauses.
- In Session 3, we will explore how in business negotiations, the amateur has only a few issues, but the professional negotiates many matters.
Session 4: Assess Strengths & Weaknesses
- Pressure Points
- Understanding the other side's power
- Evaluating your position
- Know your BATNA
- Single and sole source negotiations
- Small-Group Exercise: How would you respond to a specific ethical situation which will be presented?
- Session 4 discusses how your reputation and that of your organization will significantly influence the negotiation outcome, as will each side's strengths and weaknesses and recommendations on how to deal with the most challenging negation-that is with a single or sole source.
Session 5: Defining The Negotiation Objectives
- Determining initial positions
- Negotiation objectives diagram
- Negotiations planning forms
- Impact of other influences
- Team Negotiations
- Final preparation
- Determine strategies
- Post review and analysis
- 18 crucial negotiation points to remember
- Group Discussion-Explore ways to deal with the various tactics used by the other side in negotiations
- Session 5 develops a further understanding of how expert negotiators have very well defined initial targets and fall back positions for every issue being negotiated and knowledge about common tactics used by the other side.